Great Georgia Pollinator Census Volunteer Opportunity
Calling All Citizen Scientists! Join us at Pebble Hill Plantation and participate in the second annual
The University of Georgia’s Great Georgia Pollinator Census is an historical initiative during which Georgians will record the numbers and types of pollinators that populate our state. The activity is designed for anyone in Georgia – you don’t have to be an expert to participate!
All you have to do:
• Choose a favorite pollinator plant from the Pebble Hill Kitchen Garden.
• Observe the plant for 15 minutes.
• Count and categorize the insects that land on the flowers on your plant.
• Return your census count sheet to the Pebble Hill staff.
• Pebble Hill staff will upload your count data to the University of Georgia Extension’s Great Georgia Pollinator Census website
• And now you’ve become a citizen scientist and a part of pollinator history by helping document the state’s pollinator populations!
Friday, Aug 21
10:00 a.m.—1:00 p.m.
Saturday, Aug 22
10:00 a.m.—1:00 p.m.
Join us at the Pebble Hill Kitchen Garden to pick up instructions and census count sheets.
All participants need to park in the Learning Center parking area across the street from the Kitchen Garden. (look for the signs)
Participation is FREE and all ages are welcome!
Registration is needed:
Register in advance by calling: 229-226-2344
(this will assist us with census preparations)
Be sure to wear appropriate clothes for warm weather and bring plenty of water. If you would like to explore the rest of Pebble Hill’s beautiful grounds or enjoy a picnic lunch, please visit the Pebble Hill Visitors’ Center to purchase grounds tour tickets.
For more information on the University of Georgia’s Great Georgia Pollinator Census, visit www.ggapc.org
Don’t forget to tell them HOTC sent you!
***COVID-19 information: Masks, gloves, and social distancing are highly encouraged. If you are immuno-compromised and/or requested to self-quarantine, feeling unwell, have any symptoms of illness, or have been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, please stay home and join us at a future opportunity. Please follow all current health guidelines by the CDC and local/state officials, and respect those of our non-profit partners and community agencies.
(Friday) 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Pebble Hill Plantation